Friday, March 13, 2009

In Need of a New Kid?

I was given a book as a resource for the MOMS group and decided I would read it since I like the author. Have a New Kid by Friday is a wonderful read! It mostly confirmed the things I'm already doing with Colson, but if you or someone you know is having problems with a child, this is the book to get. It starts with ideas for changing your child's attitude, behavior, and character in five days. Then there is a lengthy, alphabetized "Ask Dr. Leman" section with answers about everything from allowances to namecalling to shyness. Here are some quotes:

"Did you know that your job as a parent is not to create a happy child? That if your child is temporarily unhappy, when he/she does choose to put a happy face back on, life will be better for all of you?"

"If you want your child to take you seriously, say your words once. Only once. If you say it more than once, you're implying, "I think you're so stupid that you're not going to get it the first time, so let me tell you again."

"Praise isn't good for kids...praise links a child's worth to what she does...instead, encourage your child. Encouragement emphasizes the act and not the person."

If you want your child to be kind, teach your child to be kind now. If you want your child to be a responsible adult, teach him responsibility now. If you want your child to enjoy spending time with you, start now in setting aside nonpressured time to spend with him instead of getting caught up in the rat race of constanct activity."

"What 3 qualities do you want your child to have? What steps can you take now to encourage these qualities in your child?"

Intrigued? Read the book!

3 comments:

Carrie said...

I love it! We took Growing Kids God's Way and thought it was very beneficial.

MamaLieder said...

Thought you were going to announce you were preggo!

Unknown said...

Sound like a good book. I will have to pick that up.