Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Recipe Junkie

I love recipes. Okay, let me clarify - I love finding new recipes, but I rarely make them. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Every time I go through a magazine, I tear out recipes that sound good, or have ingredients that I like, or just make me think, "I'd like to try that." Then they go from the couch where I read the magazine to the kitchen counter. From there, they stay awhile or, if company is coming, they get thrown on top of my computer desk. After a few weeks/months/years, I go through the stack and think, "Why did I want to try that?" or "Yeah, that still sounds good." WHY don't I ever take the time to make them? I could be a top chef by this point in my life(my sister and others who know me well are laughing out loud right now). But seriously, I could have a large variety of recipes to choose from when planning meals, and instead I stick with the same, sad things while the recipes sit sadly on a shelf. No more! My goal is to try a new recipe every one to two weeks, whether it be a main dish, side, or dessert. My guinea pig/husband can let me know if they are worth adding to my recipe box (a lovely mesh silver number with dividers for breakfast, sides, chicken, beef, desserts, etc. I had more fun organizing the recipes than I've ever had actually cooking, but that's another story). All of this to say, I'm putting it out there in the blog world so that I will be held accountable. I will let you know periodically of my successes and failures - hopefully there will be more of the former than the latter. And if you have any tried-and-true favorites, feel free to send them my way! I'll need a new stack on my desk. =)

4 comments:

Rebekah said...

You are so funny! We are very similar in this area =) At least you take the recipe out! Most of the time I keep the whole magazine thinking I will get back to it and use it! I finally cleaned out most of my Southern Living magazines. I will look forward to hearing about the new creations, because if you like it, it must be good!

Carrie said...

Hahaha! I love it! I do the same thing, of course. Thankfully, I found allrecipes.com and just bookmark the recipes I tried (and liked).

Keeps my house's clutter down...a little bit.

Whitney said...

Love it! I do this too, and recently went through them all and made a small stack of things to try. Good luck with trying them all out, I am excited to hear how they turn out :)

Gayle said...

I concur! I do the same thing, but am no where near as organized with a receipe box. Mine is more of a pile of printer papers in a binder and elsewhere! I do the same thing with the same standard receipes as well and keep saying that I should try more and healthier dishes. Keep us posted on how it goes!