Thursday, November 20, 2008

Coffee Drinkers, I Need Your Help!

I need to know how to make good coffee. Not anything fancy or crazy, just good coffee that can be brewed in my Mr. Coffee maker that I asked for on our wedding registry and have used three times in seven years. Neither my husband nor I drink coffee, so I never know what kind to buy, or exactly how to make it. It's kind of embarrassing, but I'm ready to learn. Please, help me! Can you tell me which brands you buy? What are some tricks you have for making it great? What brands are horrible and should never be brewed? Are creamers important? Which ones? Does it matter what kind of filters I use? I'm counting on you to turn me into a respectable hostess, people! Don't let me down!

8 comments:

Rebekah said...

I'll be checking back to see the comments! You know I'm in the same boat except that I need to buy a coffee maker too!

jhatwig said...

Okay, I know a bit about coffee! However, I am probaly not the best judge because I am quite used to free hospital coffee=) A lot of people say they like Starbucks even if it has a burnt flavor. Dunkin Donut(I know that is spelled wrong) was voted the worst in a poll I saw. You can get a wide variety a Target. I would offer milk and sugar. A flavored creamer is always nice too. I don't know if that was any help or if I just took up a lot of space! Good Luck!

Megan said...

I'd been reading your blog through google reader and today finally came to your actual blog...LOVE the look! That picture of Colson in your header is precious! Ohhhh and I LOVE coffee. I would invest in the "permanent" filter- you probably can get it wherever you got the coffee maker. So much easier, less messy, and in the long-run I think less expensive. Trader Joe's coffee- mmmm...way better than Starbucks and WAY more affordable (even than getting coffee at Costco). French Roast is my favorite and also the cheapest at Trader Joes. It comes whole bean but you can grind it there if you like- I grind mine for 10 seconds and think it tastes perfect. Ok, better stop there- I'm really letting the cat out of the bag on just how addicted I still am...DURING PREGNANCY. = )

Whitney said...

I don't drink coffee very much either, and just got some dunkin donuts the other day for a gathering... based on the comment below I don't know if I should serve it now... :)
My only preference is to have a little coffee with my coffeemate creamer :)

Ann-Marie said...

Thanks! These are so helpful. Keep 'em coming!

Dominique James said...

I'm no coffee guru, but all I know is don't drink Folgers. yuck! I like Trader Joes coffee with their liquid vanilla creamer. yuum :)

Ryan Holck said...

First things first. Good coffee doesn't originate from a Mr Coffee coffee pot, they tend to do one of two things; 1) not get hot enough to work the beans right or 2) get too hot and burn the grounds.

That said, you can get a decent cup if you are careful with it.

1) Beans - try Tullys, Peets or Starbucks (French Roast is dark but good)
2) Grinding - you are looking for fine but not dust here, try saying "Fine is the grind that will get me to work on time." 2 times through and most grinders will be close to the right consistancy
3) Volume - you need 1-2 tablespoons of ground coffee for each 6 oz cup of coffee (a heaping Tablespoon will be close enough)
4) Filter - an unbleached paper filter is your best bet, you should bed able to pass light through it but not see through it. think light paper towel not cheesecloth
5) Water - bust out your filter for this and you will be in better shape
6) Brewing - fill the maker with the H2O and coffee and hit go.
7) Serving - the burnt flavor of coffee tends to come from the water being too hot or the coffee sitting on the hot burner for more than 15-20 minutes, so... once the pot is done put the coffee in a warmed coffee caraffe (run hot water through it to heat the liner up)
8) Tableside - coffe, cream (flavored or not), sugar (sugar in the raw is good or regular)
Enjoy and please don't hold the volume of my OCD in this

Amber said...

Ha! This is too funny! I just googled how to make a good pot of coffe last night...my first attempt at making coffee and i too have had our coffee maker for at leat 5 years. No luck with google everything was too "fancy" if ya know what i mean. I ended up making starbucks french roast coffee... added a little hot coco and some half and half....seemed ok to me? Let me know if you come across any other coffee making secrets... I'll need em!