Thursday, July 14, 2011

In Honor of My Sister...

Today was spider day! My sister dearly loves all things spider, so I know she will read and view every detail of this post. Anyway, we read The Very Busy Spider by Eric Carle and then did a little Itsy Bitsy Spider fun. Years ago, when I spent all my free time finding activities for my preschool class, I made Danny buy a huge pvc pipe to make Itsy Bitsy Downspouts (got this idea from some preschool website). Little did he know that one day our own son would benefit from this project. We got C's play spider - it looks freakishly real - and sang the Itsy Bitsy Spider song while it climbed into the pipe. Then the "rain" came down as C poured the cup of water through the top of the pipe, which washed the spider out. It was so easy and so fun; he did it at least twenty times. And are you enjoying the view of my kitchen cabinets, oven, and floor instead of my table? You're welcome.Our art project was marble painting a spider web. I cut a black piece of paper to fit my round cake pan, because you know that I wasn't using it for baking anytime soon. Once the circle was in the pan, I put some white paint in a cup, dropped a marble in and swirled it in the paint. Then C dropped the marble onto the black circle in the pie pan and moved the pan all around to make random lines on the circle. Once dry, he attached the spider he made to the web!"A silly picture now, Mommy"


Notice the book on the back of the couch? That is the 17 Day Diet book my neighbor loaned to me. If I actually read and follow it, that will be a whole other set of posts.

3 comments:

Tami said...

That spider DOES look freakishly real. Ewww!!! (Cool activity though!)

Sunshine said...

I agree. That spider is way too real looking. that just gave me the shivers...lol What a neat idea though. I think Zack and Mia would get a kick out of that...probably make a huge mess too. Oh well, what are kids for...jk

Ann-Marie said...

Yes, notice the attractive, large vinyl tablecloth underneath the bowls. It saved my floor.