Saturday, July 26, 2008

Tax Dollars at Work

I was driving south on Willow towards Nees yesterday, and I saw a sign that caught my attention. "Your local tax dollars at work - Willow Median Landscaping Project." Interesting, I thought. While I love flowers and bushes, is this really where I want my tax dollars to be spent? How about, instead of giving that money to a plant nursery, how about we buy a few swings so that Selma Layne park doesn't just have a single swing where there used to be four? Or what about putting the money into another tarp so that other local parks can be shaded? Or, here's a thought, why don't we put that money toward building something indoors so that there is somewhere to take children in the Fresno heat besides the mall play area, which gets so crowded that I'm scared to go there on weekends? Okay, the rant has officially ended, and I'm ready to get in the car and drive. I can't wait to look at all the beautiful flowers.

4 comments:

Kelly said...

I hear ya!! I saw that same sign and thought just about the same thing. I was like they are just gonna rip that median up in a year or so to do something else.....there are much better ways to spend our money!

Unknown said...

ugh! I can think of many ways to spend those tax dollars, too.

You did great last night at MOMS cafe! It is great to see you leading this group.

MamaLieder said...

Yay! I am really excited! Glad you liked em. I am doing those, hooded towels, toddler aprons, and anything I can embroider.

Carrie said...

Hi! I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks the play area in the mall is a yard sale!

I go to the Mops at New Covenant.