It started on Tuesday. Colson seemed to have a cold, but it was a nice day, so we went to the zoo. I figured he could sit in the stroller as easily as he could sit on the couch. As the afternoon wore on, he developed a fever, so I started giving him Tylenol. We went to my parent's house for dinner and stayed after to watch some T.V. Colson was sitting in my lap in the computer chair, and I felt him move, but wasn't really paying attention. Then, a couple of seconds later, I realized that his arms were flailing and that he was having a seizure. I quickly put him on the floor and turned him on his side. Thankfully, my mom called 9-1-1 and the firefighters were there in about two minutes. They brought in an oxygen mask, which Colson took easily. Why? Because we had visited the fire station a few weeks ago, and Colson has been making breathing noises like the firefighter did in his mask ever since he saw it. So once I told him he could breathe like the firefighters, he put it on. Providential? I think so. Anyway, the paramedics arrived shortly after and put Colson in the ambulance. We were off to Children's Hospital. We arrived at about 8:45 p.m. and left at 5 a.m. Yes, that's right. Over eight hours. During that time, Colson's fever went from 104 down to 100, then back up after the nurse didn't give him Tylenol again, even though it had been four hours since they had given it to him. I still don't understand that. During that time, Colson also had blood drawn and two x-rays taken, then re-taken because the nurse couldn't do it right. She didn't have the most pleasant bedside manner, either, but there were several nurses helping us that night that did. We watched a 1 hr. 10 min. Wiggles video in its entirety two times. It was pretty much the longest night of our lives! So, we got home after 5 a.m. on Wednesday, and Colson slept in my bed with me until about 11 a.m. His fever went up again that afternoon, so we started getting really strict with alternating the Tylenol and Motrin. I took him to the doctor yesterday and he had the beginnings of ear infections, so we were able to get antibiotics.
A few important facts - Colson's seizure was caused by his fever, which spiked very quickly. The nurses said that it doesn't matter what the number is - 101, 102, or 104 - the reason for the seizure is the fact that the body temperature rises so quickly. When they did the blood work, some of the levels were high, which is why they wanted the x-rays done. Nothing was found on the x-rays, so they determined that he had an infection that was most likely in the beginning stages. We were told to continue with the fever medicine and follow up with the doctor. I am so glad that the doctor found something on Friday! He's been on antibiotics since yesterday and is already doing better. We gave him fever medicine up until 2 a.m. today, and have been checking his temperature about every hour since then, but no fever all day today. He is quite used to the ear thermometer now, and even requested it this morning by pointing to it on the nightstand. He hates the taste of his antibiotics, but I will force it down his throat if necessary! I posted several status updates on facebook and had amazing responses. Colson was covered in prayers and I am so grateful.
Today has held several accomplishments: 1) I took a shower 2) Colson went down for his nap and 3) I ran errands. Big stuff!
I'm very glad to be on the other side of this "adventure," and I can't wait to celebrate Easter tomorrow with my family!

Our exhausted little boy after eight hours in the hospital

Rory wanted to keep tabs on him!
4 comments:
I'm so glad he's ok! Thanks for the update...and what a sweet dog you have.
So glad he is ok, hugs to you both!
What an experience! I am so happy he is okay. It sounds like an exhausting few days though. Hang in there :)
I'm so glad to hear you're all doing better! And glad to hear that Colsen handled everything well. Hugs to you all!
Post a Comment