Tuesday, December 9, 2008

More Than Just a Tree


This is our Christmas tree. It's not spectacular, or coordinated, but it's ours. I want to give you a closer look as to what makes it special.


A picture from last year: Colson's first Christmas



An ornament from my parents that says, "Benji 1988." Benji was my dog, who I got from the pound in fourth grade. He lived with me until the week before my wedding, when we found a tumor and I sat with him as he was put to sleep.


A Mountie Nutracker, which I bought on a trip to Canada with one of my best friends.



A picture of our first Christmas together in 2001


A Strawberry Shortcake ornament that my mom bought at Gemco, a store that I don't think exists anymore, after she saw me looking at it during a shopping trip.


A handmade ornament from my nephew, whom I watched every day as a baby and who is now in third grade

A teddy bear from my second grade teacher, Mrs. Warlin. The loop at the top is broken because I've been using it for so long


A handprint ornament from my niece. I actually did this project with my preschool class each year, and my sister borrowed the idea for family ornaments. My niece was probably less than a year old in this picture, and she's currently in first grade


A mouse ornament with two broken paws, which I've had since elementary school. It was given to me by a family friend, who passed away from cancer.
Every ornament has a story - some simple, some happy, some sad. I treasure each one and the memory that goes with it.

4 comments:

Gayle said...

I love it Ann-Marie! Perfect just the way a family Christmas tree should be. Reminds of me of the kind I grew up with and hope to give my kids as they grow!

Rebekah said...

How special! Thanks for sharing your memories =)

Unknown said...

I love when a tree has a story. It is perfect.

Whitney said...

Thank you! What a great post. I love that about our tree too.