Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Things I Didn't Know

Here are some of the things that did not enter into my thinking when I decided to become a mother:

1. I am responsible for thinking up and making/cooking/preparing three meals that are somewhat balanced and healthy for each child in my house. Every. Single. Day.

2. There are some, make that several, days when I don't even look at myself in the mirror because I don't have time.

3. At any given moment, I can have someone else's bodily fluids on me - urine, snot, and vomit have all been on me. The sad part is, I don't always have time to change, so they stay there for awhile.

4. There will never again (at least until the kids go to college) be a date night where I can completely enjoy myself and not think about my kids and wonder if they're okay, even though I know they're okay.

5. While I am in my house, there is no "me time." Cooking, cleaning, showering, and going to the bathroom are all open for the children to just come in at any moment.

6. This means that going to the dentist, the doctor, and the grocery store have now become my "me time."

7. Nap time is sacred and must be guarded at all costs.

8. Getting laundry washed and dried is easy. Getting clean laundry put away in actual drawers and closets within four days of it being washed and dried is nearly impossible.

9. Places that provide free entertainment for my children are now my favorite places to go. I would like to thank the library, the mall, Riverpark play area, parks, Borders, toy stores, and Target personally.

10. The best diet I have found is the "try to get yourself and two children dressed and ready to go somewhere by 9 a.m." diet. Who has time to eat?

I promise, sometime in the near future I will post a positive "Things I Didn't Know." But it's been a long week and this list felt more therapeutic.

And this is why I get up every morning and do the whole routine all over again:

2 comments:

Tami said...

Wait. There's a positive list? ;)

Whitney said...

So, I was going to comment with an agreement to a few on your list, then I realized that each and every one of these completely applies!! (Except the nap time thing...enjoy it while you can...just sayin')
Great post :0)