Sunday, August 8, 2010

Perfect Playdough

I made playdough often for my preschool class, and I found the perfect recipe. I've shared it with the MOMS group, and now you, my millions of followers, will have this privileged information. I recruited my best helper and made a batch this past week.


Before we started, C wanted to line up all of his characters so they would be able to watch us. I have a feeling there might be a little OCD in this child.

Here is what you will need - 3 cups flour, 3 Tbs. vegetable oil, 3 Tbs. cream of tartar,3/4 cup salt, and 3 cups warm water. If you want it to be pretty, then you'll need a few drops of food coloring.


Whisk together all ingredients in a large pot until free of lumps.
We whisked the ingredients, then stirred in the food coloring once the lumps were gone.
Place on medium heat and stir constantly until mixture pulls away from the sides of the pot and forms a large ball.

Turn out onto a floured board (or a plate, in my case) and knead while still very warm. Knead in additional flour until the dough achieves a silky texture.

Side note: C discovers that he "loves" flour and salt, and kept tasting them during our cooking project. Why can't I get him to try new food this easily?

1 comment:

Amy Brooks said...

Maybe if you spill the new food onto the counter he will be inclined to taste it? I don't know just a thought. :)